Re: 'Apropos' - an adaptive interface for generating Content MathML

Hi Amit,

Amit Jain <A.Jain@cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> As part of the dissertation for my Masters' degree, I am making
> available an adaptive interface to construct Content MathML, called
> 'Apropos'. It works directly in web-browsers and is available from
> http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/external/A.Jain/

Very nice!

A few comments: it's not obvious what the % values are in the editor.
Apparently they are probabilities that the user will want to use that
choice, right? It probably makes sense in some cases, but definitely
not in others. For instance, when you are starting. Why are
'relations' marked '0%' and 'set' 0.29% ? Reading your paper I
understand the why, but this is a case which would confuse a user who
didn't know the underlying model.  Also, if I go "0 = " and select a
number, then I'll get '0 (41%), 1 (31%)'. Bizarre.  Of course I'm not
expecting Apropos to be able to tell me if my expressions are correct
mathematical statements or not, but this is a case where displaying %
is confusing.

But this is only a user interface point-of-view obviously. Perhaps less
confusing would be not to display the % at all but instead reordering the
choices so that the most 'probable' is at the top.

Cheers,

Max.