Re:MathML and CSS

On Wed, 19 May 2004, White Lynx wrote:

>> CSS extensions are significantly more complicated to implement and test
>> than the equivalent MathML. MathML is self-contained, you only need to
>> test how it interacts with the MathML around it. CSS extensions have to
>> apply to all namespaces, and have to interact with the rest of CSS.
>
> Agree. But it is worth to do especially when extensions are not 'ad hoc'
> extensions targeted on mathematics but can be used in other markup
> languages apart of MathML. And one is talking about few not too
> sophisticated CSS extensions. No one requires to rebuild whole CSS
> visual rendering model.

If there are indeed soe nice generic extensions to CSS then adding them to
CSS3 would be a fine thing (although bear in mind that most UA
implementors have indicated that they have no intention of implementing
CSS3 any time soon). I was talking about MathML-specific extensions to CSS
designed to make MathML possible, since that is what I thought this thread
was about.