Re: MathML and CSS

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Bruce Miller wrote:

> It _is_ appealing if an UA implementer would feel compelled to add a few
> features to thier CSS implementation and supply thier _own_ meta-stylesheet
> that fills in the gaps for thier particular browser.  Then, authors simply
> serve normal MathML and everything happens like it should.
>
> [I wonder if Ian is listenning in, and what he thinks of the idea?]

You know what I think -- I don't see any reason, as an implementor, to
implement CSS extensions rather than just implement MathML itself.

CSS extensions are significantly more complicated to implement and test
than the equivalent MathML. MathML is self-contained, you only need to
test how it interacts with the MathML around it. CSS extensions have to
apply to all namespaces, and have to interact with the rest of CSS.

So IMHO it's easier to convince someone to implement a subset of MathML
than it is to convince them to implement extensions to CSS that allow them
to then implement a subset of MathML using a stylesheet.