Re: MathML and CSS

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 22:05:12 +0200
Cc: www-math@w3.org
To: "White Lynx" <whitelynx@operamail.com>

On 16-May-04, at 14:09 Uhr, White Lynx wrote:
> Content is content and is carried by markup language,

Well, then I have missed something.
I may be illiterare but I know no-way a piece of XHTML can refer to
some semantics somewhere.

Sorry to have used the wrong name, the correct name is "parallel
markup".

MathML has this ability to have a presentation markup hinting to a
content
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-MathML2-20031021/chapter5.html#id.5.3.3
It is called "parallel markup" and I think it's very important for any
purpose like "copy and paste", "machine-readability", or just about any
semantic web application.

Mathematics were relatively ready for such purposes... merging them
into CSS would sort of loose this!

paul

PS: it would even loose the ability to consider as math an XML-extract
whereas previously it was possible to have, with limited generality, a
good consideration of the mathematical nature of a
presentation-mathml-snippet, allowing it to be pasted in Maple and
Mathematica, for example.