Re: MathML and CSS

On 16-May-04, at 14:09 Uhr, White Lynx wrote:
> transformations like - to minus sign etc.) May be this is not
> really important for MathML community that prefers to use ugly
> mi-mi-mo-mo tag soup instead of proper Unicode notations
> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr25
> but it is important for us and I think that CSS3 Math module
> should include such a text-transformation properties.

This is amazingly nice to state such... It gives me the chance to raise
a common-issue between CSS and MathML: there seems to be no-way to be
able to say "choose me this font if this character is available,
otherwise this one, otherwise... fall back from greek-letters to
latin-letters".

MathML is somewhat more realistic here, the tags of your soup define a
small set of symbols needed to be compliant.
Unicode defines a set of symbols which is rather not so small.

So claiming Unicode only works on ideal systems, and such don't exist.

For example, I haven't met a font which covers the whole Unicode
Math-range. (we're still waiting for StiX fonts I think)

And another bad example is that I doubt the Opera browser I can install
on a Symbian telephone will ever come pre-delivered with such a font!

paul