Re: MathML and CSS

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:30:01 +0200
To: www-math@w3.org

On 14-May-04, at 07:04 Uhr, Bruce Miller wrote:
> (b2) to do just enough that mathematics can be presented, but that
> some/most MathML would have to be simplified before CSS stylesheets
> could describe it's presentation?

This approach is seducing, it lets  presentation-process-developers
hope for the ability to as much dynamic-HTML with formulae than what
can be done (sort of) in current browsers.

And at the same time, accepting this would at least mean we abandon the
content-side of MathML. Where would we find, then, such great things as
synchronized content and presentation subtrees ? (this should all be
XHTML, SVG, or other CSS-supporting-platfom).

Moreover, the "mathematical" nature of the math subtrees would be lost.
This would mean that copy and paste would be even more random and may
be an issue for accessibility... unless content (semantic) data would
be made available.

What can hosts of CSS (SVG, XHTML) offer for such embedding of semantic
content ?

paul