RE: When to stretch parentheses

>One of the reasons why mathml markup should be properly grouped is that software cannot choose in general what is a "good"
rendering.
I agree absolutely.

If one would pass the grouping role from an element  ( <mrow> ) to "operator pairs"
( <mo>(</<mo>  <mo>)</<mo>  )  than things get out of being determined very
quickly.

Take something like this:

        < A | B | C >

If a piece of software would just try to guess matching operator pairs it would be wrong in many cases.

Bernhard