subscript context xslt analysis

From: Roger I Martin PhD <hypernexdev@hypernexinc.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:24:45 -0500
To: www-math@w3.org

I'm writing xslt transforms that take mathml and generates Java code
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathml-x/ during run time binding.  One
of the difficulties I face is decide how to treat a subscript wrt to
it's context.  Sometimes there is a different meaning to the subscript:

  <ci type="double">

is an array of doubles, other times it could be a more stylish
mathematical grouping of symbols and function as a single variable. Is
there some distinction that I am overlooking or is it possible to have
more types defined for example:

  <ci type="double-array">
let's it be known that the i(or the second child of msub) is really an
index; not a part of stylish |semantics?

Have a good day,