character question

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:54:56 -0500
To: www-math@w3.org
Cc: okeeffe@aip.org

Hello all.

Rich O'Keefe at the American Institute of Physics posed the following
question to me, and I don't know the answer, so I'm reposting it
here:

> Essentially, in ISOamsr/mmlalias.ent there are the following
> characters:
>
> &gap;   (&gtrapprox; in MathML) mapped to codepoint x2273 (Unicode
> list this as x2A86 for the double squiggly)
>
> &lap;    (&lessapprox; in MathML) mapped to codepoint x2272 (Unicode
> list this as x2A85 for the double squiggly)
>
> The conflict is that the above entities refer to a less than or
> greater sign over double squiggly lines, but the unicode character
> is a less than or greater than over a single squiggly line.
>
> The codepoints are duplicated for the actual less than or greater
> than over a single squiggly line:
>
> &gsim; (&gtrsim; in MathML) also mapped to codepoint x2273 (this is
> correct)
>
> &lsim; (&lesssim; in MathML) also mapped to codepoint x2272 (this is
> correct)
>
> We can work around this for our purposes, but since it seems like a
> possible area to rectify, I'd like to bring to the attention of the
> proper authority.
>
> Any recommendation would be great.

If you have an answer to post, please be sure to keep Rich in the Cc to
your message.

Thanks,

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
W3C Math Interest Group Co-Chair                      651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com