Re: More mathvariants

From: Neil Soiffer <soiffer@DesSci.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:04:11 -0700 (PDT)
To: RobertM@DesSci.com (Robert Miner)
Cc: S.Pepping@elsevier.nl, RobertM@DesSci.com, www-math@w3.org

> Hi Simon,
>
> > My concern is that there may be authors who wish to use both normal and
> > italic double-struck characters in a single publication with different
> > semantic meaning. That is now not possible. Our line will be that we will
> > try to persuade authors to pick their variants from the set provided by
> > mathml. We will see how far we get with that.

One caution you should give to your authors -- the more esoteric the
symbol they use, the less likely other software will support it.
Currently, I don't think either MathPlayer or Mozilla or Mathematica
have italic double-struck characters.  Apparently, the STIX group didn't find
much use of them, otherwise they would have been in their proposal to
the Unicode Technical Committee.

Neil Soiffer					 email: neils@dessci.com
Senior Scientist                 phone: 562-433-0685
Design Science, Inc.             http://www.dessci.com