Re: MathML - variant selector errors in section 6.3.5.

From: Rick McGowan <rick@unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:00:02 -0700
To: davidc@nag.co.uk
Cc: www-math@w3.org, duerst@w3.org, ishida@w3.org, asmus@unicode.org

Hello David --

Thanks for your note.

You mentioned:

> I note 2 of the 4 that you list:
> 2278
> 2279
> are in StandardizedVariants-4.0.0.txt but commented out, and are in the
> files I actually used:

Right. Just FYI and for future reference: these two characters 2278 and
2279 originally were in our list but then they got removed. This was an
action taken by UTC, based on a paper by Mark Davis 2001-03-28, document
reference L2/02-126. The decision was based on the fact that 2278 and 2279
are decomposable characters. UTC issued a corrigendum to remove these.
There is an explanation of this in Unicode Technical Report #28 (Unicode
3.2). An errata report was filed to the MathML WG on 02 April 2002 by
Martin Duerst.

> Unless I have missed something the lack of a variant of 2225 introduces
> another unfortunate case where Unicode doesn't have enough characters to
> support the ISO entity sets in any plausible way, in this case parsl in
> ISO 9573 part 13 ISOTECH. It would be _really_ helpful if Unicode 4.x
> would add characters to cover the ISO entity sets. It is very hard to
> automate safe conversion of SGML (with SDATA entities) to XML (with
> entities expanding to Unicode) without these characters.

Someone will need to gather the relevant info and propose this. Probably
fairly easy to get this rolling. I would suggest that Asmus Freytag is the
person to help coordinate this proposal. I'm CCing him on this note...

Thanks again.

	Rick