Re: comments on MathML last call

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 10:23:59 -0400
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: www-math@w3.org, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org

Hello David,

Thanks for your explanations.

At 10:20 03/06/02 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:

>I don't know of any currently freely available fonts that are set
>up with tables so that characters in these positions render as
>specified. People sometimes quote the code2001 project but
>http://home.att.net/~jameskass/code2001.htm
>still says of mathematics:
>
>    In this version, the special letter forms for Mathematics are (still)
>    not completed, and many of them are wrong, rough, or inappropriate.

Is this a problem of how the fonts are encoded, or that the glyphs
are not freely available. If it's the later, then that doesn't have
anything to do with the plane 1 vs. pua issue. If the former, it
should not be too difficult to take a font and recode it, if
it is a free font.

>   Second, I just had a look at
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-MathML2-20030411/isoamsa.html.
>   Some of the glyphs come with boxes around them, and for some
>   others, there is just a gray box. I'm not sure there is
>   a need anymore to distinguish different classes of characters.
>

>The grey box is "none.png" which is a link the stylesheet creates
>if a better character image isn't supplied. I hope to generate some
>more images now the actual code assignments are stable, once we've
>finished handling last call comments to the text of the spec.
>Similarly the images with boxes are older images from the mathml-1 spec
>that just have a border within the image. Hopefully we'll be able to
>regenerate those as well sometime, but they are lower priority than the
>images that are missing.

Just in case this is not already listed as a last call comment,
I think it would be very important to fix this before publishing
the second edition. If you have problems with getting appropriate
glyph images, I suggest you talk to somebody from the Unicode
Consortium.

Regards,    Martin.