Entity-references and Doctype declarations

From: Morten Andersen <mortena@mip.sdu.dk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:09:33 +0200
To: www-math@w3.org
I used Davids help to create an xsl file, that translate some parts of a
mathml page into somthing that mathplayer can eat and some, that
InputControl can eat.
This succeeded very well, util I tested it with mathml containing entity
references like:

&Int;, &conint; and &eacute;

This was absolutely not acceptable for IE-6.0 that announced that it found
an error:

Reference to undefined entity 'conint'.
             <mo>&conint;</mo>
-----------------^

This I could avoid by adding a doctype-declaration to the document.

<!DOCTYPE html
                  PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
                         "<http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd>http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd">

It slowed down the download-time a bit, but the worst thing was, that it
added an overflow parameter to the code so that:

<math> became  <math overflow=...

This caused that InputControl from DesignScience reported the following error:
"overflow is an invalid parameter name >>  <math overflow="scroll"  "

This may be caused by Inputcontrol not supporting Mathml-2.0, so maybe I
can solve the issue by using a dtd from mathml-1.1.

Can doctype declarations be avoided when it is crucial to use entity