InputControl applet in XHTML page

From: Morten Andersen <mortena@mip.sdu.dk>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:32:11 +0200
To: www-math@w3.org

Dear experts (Especially David)

I want to have both formulas that is perfectly rendered in the browser,
plus formulas, that I can edit with InputControl from WebEQ on the same
web-page.

When I use David's pmathml.xsl as my stylesheet, then the following happens:

1) The formulas are transformed into something in the form:
<mml:math><mml:mrow>...</mml:math> which InputControl doesn't understand.
2) The InputControl applet can not be rendered in IE-6.0, because "<" may
not be used as input parameter...

After some mails to this list I think I found out how to implement the page.

1) The formulas, that must be edited using InputControl are marked on the
server (Perhaps with a <editFormula><math ...</math></editFormula>)
2) I implement a xsl tranformation file, that extends pmathml.xsl, but
which overrules the part that translates "<math..." into "<mml:math", with
a part, that initializes the InputControl Applet with code like this:
      <applet ..... value="&lt;math>&lt;mi>A&lt;/mi>&lt;/math>...</applet>.

Does that sound like I've been smoking too much marihuana or is it possible?

I'm not very experienced in making xsl transformations, so if someone would
please tell me how to extend another xsl file, and how to translate all the
< into &lt; in the math sections that must be edited.

Thanks

Morten Andersen
Denmark