Re: Java API for MATHML

Robert Miner wrote:

>>Although it looks interesting for an amount of task... do I understand that
>>you're opening the door to yet another system with possibly, say, yet another
>>interpretation of the arccos ?
>>

>Yes.  But as this is true for any new piece of software that has an
>interpretation for functions like arccos, I'm not sure what the
>implication is?  That no new mathematical software should be written?

What it means is that when one starts to write a software which is
expected to be connected to the rest of the world, one has to ask how
good this connection is to happen.
In the case of MathML-content, I thought the lack of specification of,
at least to my knowledge, the inverse-trigonometric functions have made
Mathematica and Maple MathML-content behave inconsistently.
Based on this experience (which I'd like to see one day written
somewhere under an "interoperability" heading in the w3c.org/math
pages), a new software being written should then declare something like:
the inversed trigonometric functions shall behave the same as Maple,
Mathematica (or OpenMath) ones.

Hence my statement which was, sorry for that, sort of sketchy.
I would surely not prevent new software to be written!

Paul