WikiMathML.js: A simple math authoring solution

From: Peter Jipsen <jipsen@exchange.chapman.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:25:26 -0800
To: www-math@w3.org

Readers of this mailing list may be interested in a JavaScript program that
I wrote to dynamically translate ASCII math formulas (and some LaTeX) into
presentation MathML. I have not been able to test it on a variety
of hardware or software, so I would be interested to hear if (and how well)
it works for others.

Take a look at http://www.chapman.edu/~jipsen/wikimath.xml to see if your
browser handles the XHTML+pmathml.xsl+JavaScript combination.

For example if you type `(-b+-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a)` on a XHTML page that uses
this script and view it in IE6+MathPlayer or Mozilla/NS7 you should see
the familiar solutions to the quadratic equation in nicely formatted MathML.
(The left-quotes `...` are essential. They take the place of the LaTeX $...$
but are visually less distracting when typing the math.)

Regards,
Peter Jipsen