RE: [Moderator Action] email math

Hi,

Although it may not be an immediate solution to the "math in email" problem,
I thought it might be worth noting that there is some hope of eventually
displaying MathML in HTML email. As you probably know, our MathPlayer
software enhances Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser to display
math. What is less known, however, is that the IE HTML engine (MSHTML.DLL)
is used by many other programs to display formatted material, including
various help systems and email clients. In fact, both Microsoft's Outlook
and Outlook Express email clients use IE's engine to display HTML email.

We have successfully experimented adding MathML to emails and having the
math displayed in Outlook via MathPlayer. This is not yet a complete
solution, however, for a couple reasons:

- This will only work for Windows email clients that use the IE engine.

- There is not an easy way to author such email but we hope to be able to
hook up our WebEQ MathML editor for this purpose.

One major help in this effort would be if Microsoft enabled the technologies
crucial to MathPlayer in its Macintosh browser. I don't know if there's any
hope of that, but MathML enthusiasts should encourage Microsoft to do so. We
would love to port MathPlayer to other platforms if Microsoft would make it
possible.

We also hope that the Mozilla/Netscape HTML display engine (with MathML
enabled, of course) can be used to implement HTML display in email clients.
Perhaps it already is and I just don't know about it.

Paul

Paul Topping                     email: pault@dessci.com
President                        phone: 562-433-0685
                                 http://www.dessci.com
Design Science, Inc.
"How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, Equation Editor, TeXaide