Re: Embedding MathML into HTML question.

"Jimmy Cerra" <jimbofc@yahoo.com> writes:

> As I wrote in another message, I'm designing a JavaScript MathML
> processor (as an alternative to plug-ins, XSLT and naive rendering) to
> embed MathML into HTML - specifically, versions 4.01 and 3.2.
>
> One problem is how to embed the MathML (an XML app) document into the
> HTML (a SGML app).  The mathematics should be accessible from early
          ^^^^

MathML is intended for use with the XML form of HTML, not the legacy
SGML form.

Efforts to reach old user agents should not attempt client-side
generation of the SGML form of HTML because there are too many
pitfalls, given the huge zoo of old user agents.

> browsers as well as later ones, but the code shouldn't be seen by
> browsers without JavaScript enabled or supported.  I came up with using
> a input element to "store" the MathML.  Here's an example:

There's also a security concern.

If we're going to get into heavy _serious_ use of javascript, then we
need to beware of extant user agent behavior.  As things are,
javascript imported live through the network can be used
semi-maliciously to hijack basic browser functions.  Moreover,
javascript, again depending on the user agent, can be used to spin off
a cpu-eating recursion that will force a platform without memory
protection into the requirement for a reset.  (At least, I myself
don't know how to get out of these situations with certain user agents
on certain platforms.)

That said, I think that we need to have user agents that can be
configured to ignore net-served javascript but still use javascript
that is installed deliberately on the local platform by the user or
the user's system manager.

                                    -- Bill