Re: Best way to implement sup/sub???

From: William F. Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: 12 Apr 2002 07:46:41 -0400
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: jimbofc@yahoo.com, www-math@w3.org
David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> writes:

> > I'm writing a JavaScript program to translate MathML(1.01)-Presentation
> > into HTML4,
[snip]
> None of them really worked as I want (having used TeX for 15 years, it's
> hard to live with dubious superscript positioning:-)
> but browser implementation limitations mean that I stopped using it in
> the main (I had some examples which worked fine until I put them in a
> table, then all the css-positioned supscripts from _anywhere_ in the
> document all aligned themselves overprinted along the first line of the
> page.......

To reach the widest audience using old tools with HTML4 so that the
content can be understood accurately, pseudo-TeX is more reliable.
Use braces liberally where ambiguity in interpretation would otherwise
exist.

Accurate delivery is far more important than the minimization of
ugliness.

                                    -- Bill