Re: <map> element requires block-level enclosure in XHTML 1.1?

From: Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:35:01 -0700
To: www-math@w3.org
At 21:22 2002/04/07, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

>Note that unlike 'map', the 'math' element may be used as a direct
>child of the 'body' (or other block-level) element as well as inside
>other inline-level elements in XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 DTD.
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules#s_imapmodule

Masayasu,

Thank you for another good answer ... and for adding another recommendation
to my list of things to check out when I have a problem. I encountered this
XHTML 1.1 "feature" because I formerly placed all my image <map>s at the
end of my documents, right before </body>, without enclosing them in
anything else.

I am sorry, but this leads to another question. Is there now (1) a
preferred location within an XHTML 1.1 document to place the <map> data,
and (2) a preferred block-level element in which to encapsulate them? I ask
because enclosing them inside a <p>...</p> pair (which seemed the simplest
solution) causes at least some browsers to leave extra blank space in an
inconvenient location in my documents, even though this "paragraph"
contains no visibly-rendered text.

Assuming that there was a good design reason to designate <map> as an
inline element, it seems that it might be helpful to have introduced a new
non-renderable block-level element that is specially designed to enclose
non-textual elements (such as <map>) without visibly affecting document
rendering (perhaps there is one that I've missed). I am hoping you might
have a better idea of how to deal with this; if so, I look forward to
reading it. Thank you again for sharing your insight.

--MB