Re: mathml test suite

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:42:09 -0600
To: ve3ll@rac.ca
CC: www-math@w3.org

Hi John,

> i see that the tests for character entities start first with
> a jpeg showing a rendering of each character in the
> group.  but no mention is made of the system that
> generated  these characters -- this should be clearly
> stated -- is it Amaya, Netscape, webeq or latex ???

The rendering is faked.  It was made from the MML2 spec, and in turn,
that was made from proprietary images from Unicode.  There are a
number of codepoints that don't have glyphs in *any* widely available
fonts as far as I know, though there are a couple efforts underway to
make comprehensive math fonts.

> then there is the mathml tags to test a browser's rendering
> but this code is surrounded by <pre> </pre>  which
> turns off rendering!!!  So to use the page as a test
> one must make a local copy and remove the <pre> element [snip]

That is why there is a link directly to .mml and .xhtml versions of
the tests.  One needs all three -- so people can cut and paste from a
web page into an external application, and so that browsers can be
directly tested, both on straight MathML and MathML mixed with XHTML.
Maybe we could make this clearer somehow.

Robert Miner                          email: RobertM@dessci.com
Design Science, Inc.                  phone: 651-223-2883