Re: mathml test suite

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:06:04 GMT
To: RobertM@dessci.com
CC: ve3ll@rac.ca, www-math@w3.org

> The rendering is faked.  It was made from the MML2 spec, and in turn,
> that was made from proprietary images from Unicode.

Actually the character images of the plane 1 characters in the spec were
made by pdftex. (and converted to png with image magic convert)

They use a set of fonts and/or macros that I er constructed.
The fonts (made by modifying metafont parameters to get the
right combinations of slant/serif etc) are good enough to generate the
png images in the spec, but probably not very high quality for use in
documents. (Where possible I used the freely available type1 tex fonts)

Some of the bold versions are done by overprinting rather than a real
bold font.

There are a nicer set of images at unicode site but we didn't use them
as that would not have been compatible with their distribution conditions.

For the alphanumerics in plane 1:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/draftunicode31/
in particular
http://www.unicode.org/charts/draftunicode31/U31-1D400.pdf