Re: comments re draft version 2.0

From: Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor <roconnor@uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:31:41 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-math@w3.org
On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, David Eppstein wrote:

> (1) As someone who works in analysis of algorithms, the most common
> notation I use beyond basic arithmetic is O-notation

If this is added to MathML, be sure to get it right, because the notation
is a little confusing.

f(x) = 5x + 6x^2 + O(x^3)

really means
f(x) - 5x - 6x^2 $isin; O(x^3)

Where O(g(x)) is the set of all functions from Reals to Reals that
statisfy that growth condition w.r.t g(x) that I can't remember now.

Anyhow, my point is that the equal's sign is the usual notation is
deceiving.

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``Paradoxically, a refusal to `put a monetary value on life' means that
life is often undervalued.'' -- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach