Collapsing Whitespace in Input

From: Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor <roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 13:37:35 -0500 (EST)
To: www-math@w3.org

I don't quite understand this whitespace issue.

(1) <mtext>Theorem 1: </mtext>

is equivalent to

(2) <mtext>Theorem 1:</mtext>

Section 2.3.5 says that if you want to have whitespace uncollapsed, then
you must use entities to escape it.

(3) <mtext>Theorem 1:&x20;</mtext>

won't work because to an SGML processor (1) and (3) are equivalent.

So this seems to leave

(4) <mtext>Theorem 1:&Space;</mtext>

as our only option.  This means that the DTD can't use

(5) <!ENTITY Space ' '>

because then (4) would become the same as (1).

So the entity Space has to be define as something else.  But I'm a little
unsure what.  Perhaps the best approach would be to define an SDATA
entity. The SGML process can turn the SDATA into a space after trimming
the whitespace from the element. (I actually don't know much about SDATA,
but it's use here seems appropriate)

Does anyone have any comments to clarify the issue?

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"