Re: 'Regex.h' not found problem when compiling user program under Visual Studio 2005

From: Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 00:04:02 -0400
To: Kunsheng Chen <kunsheng.chen@yahoo.com>
CC: www-lib@w3.org
Kunsheng Chen wrote:
> I am new here and is working on libwww for part my project.
Welcome !
> I tested it successfully through ubuntu with the sample code 'showlinks.c'.
Yes, various flavors of linux seem to have little issue with regular
expression libraries, since it is part of the glibc.  For example under
fedora core 10, we have,

  $ rpm -qf /usr/include/regexp.h

Where as my a debian system might show,
  $ dpkg-query -S "/usr/include/regexp.h""
  libc6-dev: /usr/include/regexp.h

What is your preferred choice of libc implementations under windows ?
> However while I ported the same code to windows, and trying to compile showlinks.c in Visual Studio, I got following error:
> fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'regex.h': No such file or directory    c:\documents and settings\administrator\Desktop\w3c-libwww-5.4.0\w3c-libwww-5.4.0\library\src\wwwsys.h    1138
> I already installed libwww through binary, downloaded source code to my desktop with extraction and import header files through <property>-<link>  in Visual Studio.  I searched for that 'regex.h' file and it is really not there,  I am not sure what is missing there, do I have to install something else ?
There are some install instructions for a few platforms in the page,

However, the some of the links for the windows regular expression
library are broken.  I would suggest using cygwin.

Please post more details of your activity, and we can update the windows
section of the documentation . . .

"The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet."
 -- William Gibson, quoted by Whitfield Diffie