From: F. Heitkamp [mailto:heitkamp@ameritech.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 5:27 AM
To: Samuel Soliz
Cc: www-lib@w3.org
Subject: RE: share libraries on UNIX

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Samuel Soliz wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Create a script with symbolic links from the .so to the actual
> libraries.  For example:
>
> ln -s libwwwapp.0.1.0 libwwwapp.so
> ln -s libwwwapp.0.1.0 libwwwapp.so.0
> ln -s libwwwcache.0.1.0 libwwwcache.so
> ln -s libwwwcache.0.1.0 libwwwcache.so.0
> .

That's a temporary fix, but why not fix the aclocal/automake/libtool
bits
that cause the problem in the first place?  I have been looking into
that
and found a message or two on google describing similar problems with
other packages.  The fix in that case was to run "autoreconf -i -f".
That
worked with another program, but does not work with libwww.  So far I
have
been unable to find the section in the autotools that actually creates
the ".so" part of the library name.

Fred