RE: HTFTP: Support for resuming downloads with "REST" [patch]

On Saturday, 15 March 2003 03:39, Sinha, Raj (Raj) wrote:

> I am sorry i did not catch the full discussion. But there
> is a discussion for our project to use libwww for downloading
> code into our embedded devices.

I'm probably not the best one to ask, having only been working with
libwww for a couple of weeks.  The first thing that would scare me about
using libwww in an embedded device is memory footprint.  At a guess
(using my Windows box) the smallest I can easily make the libwww DLLs is
about 500 KB.  This is based on using wwwapp, wwwcache, wwwcore, wwwdir,
wwwdll, wwwfile, wwwhttp, wwwinit, wwwmime, wwwstream, wwwtrans and
wwwutils.

> Can you please provide me the best possible way to do this.
> What modules should i look into it. They want to usee http.
> can we take care of broken downloads and other such issues.

Try the Library Architecture and User's Guide at
http://www.w3.org/Library/User/
Also, take a look at chunk.c and LoadToFile.c in the Examples directory
for a starting point for downloading data given a URL.  Basically, you
do this:

- Initialize the library (HTProfile_newNoCacheClient)
- Set up a couple of callbacks and handlers
- Create a new Request object (HTRequest_new)
- Start the request (HTLoadToFile or HTLoadToChunk)
- Go into an event loop
- Do something with the data when it has arrived.
- Clean up

Broken downloads can be handled by sending the request again, but give
it a range of bytes to download using HTRequest_addRange.  You should
probably check that the server supports "Accept-Ranges: bytes" before
doing this though.

Finally, if you haven't already done so, digging through the mailing
list archives can be quite illuminating.

Regards,

Tim Serong
--
tim.serong@conceiva.com