RE: Open more than one HTTP request to a host?

From: Tim Serong <tim.serong@conceiva.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:52:29 +1100
To: "Richard Atterer" <richard@list03.atterer.net>
Cc: <www-lib@w3.org>

Richard Atterer wrote:

> As always with libwww, it's probably possible to play some
> dirty tricks to
> get around the limitation. For this, you somehow need to fool
> HTHost_new()
> into creating another host object. For example, it might be
> possible just
> to append "." to the hostname for a second connection.

Thank you, but surely it can't be this easy? :)

In HTHost_new, there's a 'while' loop labelled "Search the cache".
Remove this loop, and the existing host is never found, so a new one is
returned every time.  Problem solved, assuming you never want to
pipeline HTTP requests.  The only other catch I can see so far is that
HTHost_find will then be useless and/or unpredictable, but AFAICT this
function is never actually called, at least not from within libwww.

Dirty trick?  Yes, I think so.  I haven't tried FTP with it yet
either...

Regards,

Tim Serong
--