From: Alec H. Peterson [mailto:ahp@hilander.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 11:25 AM
To: www-lib@w3.org
Subject: Re: Open more than one HTTP request to a host?

> I think so, yes, at least for HTTP requests to the same port. However,

> IMHO this is a good decision, at least for pipelined HTTP hosts.
> (FTP/HTTP1.0 is a different matter.)
>
> As always with libwww, it's probably possible to play some dirty
> tricks to get around the limitation. For this, you somehow need to
> fool HTHost_new() into creating another host object. For example, it
> might be possible just to append "." to the hostname for a second
> connection.

It's worth pointing out that I tried something similar to this that I
_thought_ would work, but it caused some problems.  I was adding a
random
integer to the hash value from 0 to 3 % the hash table size.  It seemed
work at first, but for some sites it seemed to get into a deadlock for
some
reason, where it was selecting on no file descriptors with no timeout.

I'm running in HTTP/1.1 mode with no pipelining.

I'd love to be able to get this to work with an arbitrary number of
connections, but if the solution of appending a "." works that would be
nice to just get double the throughput.

Alec

--
Alec H. Peterson -- ahp@hilander.com