Re: Open more than one HTTP request to a host?

From: Alec H. Peterson <ahp@hilander.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 09:25:25 -0600
To: www-lib@w3.org

> I think so, yes, at least for HTTP requests to the same port. However,
> IMHO this is a good decision, at least for pipelined HTTP hosts.
> (FTP/HTTP1.0 is a different matter.)
>
> As always with libwww, it's probably possible to play some dirty tricks to
> get around the limitation. For this, you somehow need to fool HTHost_new()
> into creating another host object. For example, it might be possible just
> to append "." to the hostname for a second connection.

It's worth pointing out that I tried something similar to this that I
_thought_ would work, but it caused some problems.  I was adding a random
integer to the hash value from 0 to 3 % the hash table size.  It seemed to
work at first, but for some sites it seemed to get into a deadlock for some
reason, where it was selecting on no file descriptors with no timeout.

I'm running in HTTP/1.1 mode with no pipelining.

I'd love to be able to get this to work with an arbitrary number of
connections, but if the solution of appending a "." works that would be
nice to just get double the throughput.

Alec

--
Alec H. Peterson -- ahp@hilander.com