Re: Compiling libwww on Solaris with Sun's c compiler

From: Vic Bancroft <bancroft@zvolve.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:59:32 -0400 (EDT)
To: Tanmay Patwardhan <tpthesis@hotmail.com>
cc: www-lib@w3.org

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Tanmay Patwardhan wrote:

> I did get it to work with your suggestion and GNU make. Though while running
> the program I encounter the error:
>
> ld.so.1: chunk: fatal: libwwwxml.so.0: open failed: No such file or
> directory

After everything finishes compiling and linking, it must be installed,

  $ MAKE=gmake gmake install

Look back into the scroll buffer (or redirect the compile output to a
file);  you should see something that looks like,

Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - use the `-RLIBDIR' linker flag

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

> I believe this would be a path error, having checked all my paths to be
> correct, I dont seem to pinpoint where the error could lie.
> Do you have any suggesstions on this?

If you took the defaults when running configure then you can verify an installed
set of libraries using,

  $ ls -al /usr/local/lib/libwww*

Many folks go ahead and add /usr/local/lib to their LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
convenience.  You can verify such an environment setting by trying,

  $ ldd /usr/local/bin/webbot

The webbot program uses libwwwxml, libxmlparse and libxmltok.  If you are
queasy about changing your environment variables, you can modify it just for the
run of a given program by doing,

  $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/webbot

more,
l8r,

Victor Bancroft, Principal Engineer, Zvolve Systems [v]770.551.4505
1050 Crown Pointe Pkwy, Suite 300, Atlanta GA 30338 [f]770.551.4509
Fellow, Artificial Intelligence Center              [v]706.542-0358
Athens, Georgia  30602, U.S.A           http://ai.uga.edu/~bancroft