Expect 100-continue

From: Manuele Kirsch Pinheiro <Manuele.Kirsch_Pinheiro@inrialpes.fr>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:37:56 +0100
To: www-lib@w3.org
Hi everybody,

I known, I risk to create a big discussion, but... ;)
I would like to known everybody's opinion about a small detail about
"Expect : 100-continue". Is this header mandatory when we are sending
any kind of message body?
It's claire for me that, when we are using POST and PUT methods, this
header is very useful. But, and the rest? For example, the new methods
proposed by WebDAV? I didn't use it in my webdav module. In fact, I used
the message body suggestion from Josh Watt, Xinju Wang and Steinar Bang
discussion (by the way, Thank you all! :)).  But, in a off-line
discussion, somebody ask me about that.. I search in HTTP/1.1
specification (RFC2616) and in WebDAV (RFC2518), and I found anything
that indicates that "Expect: 100-continue"  header is mandatory when
sending a body. Even more, RFC2518 don't do any mention to it.. So, I
think that is not mandatory, but just a question of "common sense". A
client developper may decide when it is necessary and when it is useful
and when it must be used.. What you (everybody) think about it?  Should
we use always "Expect: 100-continue" header when sending any body, even
small xml bodies?

Best Regards!

Manuele