From: www-lib-request@w3.org [mailto:www-lib-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of
John.Brooking@NA.SAPPI.COM
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 11:59 AM
To: www-lib@w3.org
Subject: Recommendation of wwwlib library

Hello, list,

   I've downloaded the library for use with MS Visual C++, but haven't done
much with it yet. I've been on this list for a few weeks and must admit that
having only heard the problems talked about, it's hard to get a sense of
what the success rate is for the rest of you, and thus how this library
rates for overall reliablity as well as ease of use (maybe two different
things?). I'd love to hear any "testamonials" as well as hints for using it,
especially for a somewhat rusty C programmer in a Windows environment with
only a year or two's experience as a web developer. Replies to me privately
are fine.

   To give you more of idea of what we are trying to do, our task is simply
to process text files and post each line to a URL, receiving an HTML
response consisting of "OK" or an error message, in an intranet environment.
This ought to be pretty straight-forward.

   I've also been learning Perl for about a year now, and actually have
already successfully created a Perl version using the LWP::UserAgent and
HTTP::* modules. I must say, it seemed quite simple compared to what I've
seen of this library so far, but that could be just the difference in what
the languages require, and in my level of understanding. (We are still
hoping to convert to a C program anyway to take advantage of some other
functionality that has already coded here in C.) If anyone has some
experience with both wwwLib and these Perl modules, a comparison would be
very enlightening!

   Thanks in advance.

- John Brooking
Web Developer, Sappi Fine Paper North America

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither
the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated
companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from
accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.