Can someone explain to me about SSL?

From: Wells, Richard <Richard.Wells@fmr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:59:50 -0500
To: www-lib@w3.org
Hello

I am trying to add SSL connectivity and functionality to an app we have that
uses libwww. I have libwww 5.3.2 built, and the app works with that today
with no problems. I see that there is an SSL directory under source, but it
doesn't seem to build, or create any library. Reading through what I could
find in the documentation, such as it is, I get the sense that I need some
other component to this, the openSSL library? Is this correct? And once I
have that, and built, do I need to do anything in the libwww build to get it
to use it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rick Wells