Re: HTAnchors lifetime

From: Michel Philip <philipm@altern.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 01:09:38 +0100
To: www-lib@w3.org

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: HTAnchors lifetime
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:11:22 +0200
From: "Cesare Pietra" <cesare.pietra@netikos.com>
To: "Michel Philip" <philipm@altern.org>

Unfortunately I never can tell for sure if all the submitted requests
have
been completed at a given time.
(Can you suggest for any counter of pending Requests inside libwww?)
I'm passing to the Library more and more requests as the need arises
from an
asynchronous source, and it should be desirable if I could delete
Anchors
bound to a specific Request as it terminates.
The hyperdocuments my applications is going to retreive are poor html
plain-text pages without any embedded links.
So I wonder if Anchors are really usefull at all for my application.

In addition, I have to say (if it can somehow help you to understand my
problem) I'm using a Jen Megger's patch of HTHost.c module to be able to
open more then one socket connection to the same host.
Yes I read everything about pipelining and performance issues, but I'm
doing
like that in order to avoid the remote web server to slow down the
entire
work invoking a CGI at a time.  This way I try exploiting parallelism in
executions of CGI themselves.
Maybe it implies other unsuspected dependancies between Requests and
Anchors?

Tips are welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Cesare