Re: libwww multithreading once more...

From: Olga Antropova <olga@eai.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:40:01 -0600
To: "Roland Bickel" <r.bickel@cmg.nl>, <www-lib@w3.org>
Hi,

In general there are two ways to do multiple requests processing at the same
time:

1) blocking system calls and threads
2) non-blocking system calls and a sophisticated state machine

On the single processor computer the performance of this two approaches
should be about the same.

libwww implements the second way of mutiprocessing. That is a more complex
of the two approaches.
Laying threads on top of this approach is way too complex if not impossible.

I personally think that libwww is impossible to make thread safe. There are
too many global structures.

Olga.