Re: Multithreading with WWW-Lib?

From: Hermann Gundel <hgu@software-ag.de>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:21:05 +0100
To: Duc Huy Hong <DucHuyH@exchange1.rtswireless.com>
Cc: "'www-lib@w3.org'" <www-lib@w3.org>
Duc Huy Hong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using the WWW-Lib-5.3.2 with a Preemptive profile in a Multithreaded
> manner.
> Where I start several Thread each calling th WWLib Api to make HTTP requests
> in Solaris.
> I am seeing some Core dump with memory access violations
>
> First can anyone tell me if  WWW-Lib-5.3.2 is thread safe?

No, it's not, please have a look in the list archive at w3c site. There
have been several threads about this.
In short, IIRC, if you want to use libwww in a threaded application, you
have to "serialize" the calls to the libwww (i.e. there should be only
one thread making libwww requests)
Making the libwww itself thread-safe would be a major task.

> Second do I have to use Start a separate Preemptive profile for each Thread
> to initialize the WWW-Lib?
>
> Thanks
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Duc