content-length header

From: James Hicks <jhicks@outpost.net.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:30:18 +1100
To: <www-lib@w3.org>
G'day,

    I tried a month or two ago to write a simple program that seeks the
content-length header of a given URL. It sounds insanely simple in practice,
but with www-lib I found myself struggling and haven't progressed since.

    Has anyone had experience with this particular functionality? Does
anyone have a program that does the trick? I wrote one once that called
lynx, and that worked but I need to do it without that.

Regards,
James