library -lstdc++: not found running configure

From: Bob Pickles <libwww@primechoice.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:34:44 -0400
To: www-lib@w3.org
Platform: Solaris Ultra-10
Using GNU tools.

When running configure I get the following error:
. . .
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.

When I type g++ or c++ at the command line I get:
ld: fatal: library -lstdc++: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out

I've never attempted to use c++ or g++. I have installed and
compiled tons of stuff over the years just never had the need for
these compilers. I figure a library is missing but I'm clueless on
where to get it. Any help?

This is a Solaris Install, any other tips once I get my compile
platform correct?