Strange version number

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:23:34 -0500 (EST)
To: www-lib@w3.org
cc: bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr

[Please Cc: me the replies, i'm not on the list.]

Library/src/Makefile.am contains:

LDFLAGS = -version-info "1:0:1"

which instructs libtool to believe that this is version 1 of the library's
interface, compatible with version 0. While the release is 5.2.8... The '.so'
files, on my Debian machine, are therefore produced as libwwwXXX.so.0.1.0.

Is it a bug? A feature I don't understand?

Quoting libtool's documentation:

   So, libtool library versions are described by three integers:

CURRENT
     The most recent interface number that this library implements.

REVISION
     The implementation number of the CURRENT interface.

AGE
     The difference between the newest and oldest interfaces that this
     library implements.  In other words, the library implements all the
     interface numbers in the range from number `CURRENT - AGE' to
     `CURRENT'.