RE: Bug in libwww-ssl -- can I fix?

From: Gordon Prioreschi <gpriores@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:01:06 -0700
To: www-lib@w3.org
At 10:12 AM 9/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>So you are trying to use ssl with library's POST (that means with nonblocking
>sockets and event loops!). Could you please let me know if it works - I have
>never tried that.

The primary problem I'm tracking might have something to do with this. I
believe that libwww sends the MIME header, the server it's connected to
sends back a "continue", at which point libwww does a read for some reason
instead of sending the body of the POST. I haven't tracked it completely
down, though -- the eventual timeout on that read is driving the bug I
reported, and I happened to track that down first.

I'd expect the read-instead-of-write to be a bug in a state machine in
libwww rather than having anything to do with HTSSL, but I don't know yet.
I'll report back to the mailing list when I really know what's going on.

>In my code I actually moved the management of htssl to the Channel since
>managing htssl (for reader and writer of the same connection) in HTSSL.c
>practically duplicates the channel management.

Sounds like any patch I would write might well be superseded by your
change. Personally, I don't need the patch -- I won't even run into this
bug if I fix the problem that's driving it. I'm more than happy to put a
patch together if it will be useful to the world at large, but if that
whole layer of code is going away, should I bother?

                                          Later,

                                             -g