Re: Winsock gethostbyname() problem in NT4

From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
Date: 15 Sep 1999 14:17:18 +0200
To: www-lib@w3.org

> Platform: libwww CVS checkout, NT4, MSVC6

[snip!]
> Error....... Add  73    Severity: 1     Parameter: `WinSock reported error=10093'       Where: `gethostbyname'

It helps to get the error messages instead of error codes.  From
        http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q150/5/37.asp
I get
        WSANOTINITIALISED      10093   Winsock not initialized. This message is
                                     returned by any function except
                                     WSAStartup(), indicating that a
                                     successful WSAStartup() has not yet been
                                     performed.

This means that libwww doesn't initialize winsock?

Hmm... according to this
        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-lib/1996OctDec/0087.html
it should be called if I call HTEventInit().

My test program didn't call HTEventInit().  When it did, HTTP started
working.