Re: libwww and HTTP1.0

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:25:32 -0500
To: Andrew Wong <wong@powertv.com>, www-lib@w3.org
At 18:02 3/26/99 -0800, Andrew Wong wrote:

>Anybody succeed to open several simultaneous connections to a host using
>www-lib??? It seems that all the non-blocking connections openned to a host
>are actually handled *sequentially* (I've tried all HTTP_setConnectionMode
>types). i.e. blocking after all.
>
>Is that concurrency only available for connecting to multiple hosts???
>
>I want stress test a server application, therefore I want to open many
>connections to generate a lot load. Is this possible with www-lib or
>should I look somewhere else? And how's the progress of making www-lib
>thread safe?

Libwww goes through a lot of efforts to cut down on the number of TCP
connections and really only allows a single TCP connection at a time to a
specific host, port.

When I want to stress test a server, I start multiple libwww robots and
point them at the same site - this puts a lot of load on the server and can
show how the server handles pipelined requests and not only how fast it can
swap contexts.

The HTTP/1.0 mode doesn't force multiple connections to open, it still uses
a single connection at a time.

http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk