Re: Problem with Enterprise Server not returning Content-Length.

At 23:59 09/03/1999 -0500, Abe Lederman wrote:

>I'm running into a problem where I request a URL (a CGI script that returns
>a cookie) from a Netscape Enterprise Server 3.0.

I don't think the cookie has any impact on this behavior - they are
completely ignored by libwww. Btw, if somebody wants to help adding support
for cookies, it could be done using before and after filters - very much
like how authentication is handled.

>The server doesn't return a content-length, libwww reads a number of packets,
>after it has received all the data, the Netscape server closes the
connection,
>(or at least ignores additional requests) and libwww times out after about
>15-20 seconds.

Are you sure it closes the connection? It sounds like it doesn't and
without a content length, libwww doesn't know when it has the full message.

>Everything works fine except it takes 15-20 seconds to get a URL.

I think that's the default timeout in some of the sample applications.

>This problem doesn't occur with the newest version of the Enterprise Server.
>
>Has anyone heard of this problem? Is there a work around?

Try and run libwww with protocol traces on and send the dump to the list -
it depends on what exactly the server does. Of course, I would prefer if
you could just drop the old server ;)

Henrik
--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,