Re: Obtaining the status of a request?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 17:19:42 -0500
To: www-lib@w3.org
To: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@cs.bu.edu>

Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> I'm still slowly working my way through the libwww documentation, and I've
> run into some more questions.
> I want to retrieve the http status of a request outside of the termination
> handler.  HTRequest_error() looks like it will give me this information,
> but...what do I do with the HTList object returned by HTRequest_error()?
> The HTError module provides functions for adding and deleting errors from
> an error stack, but doesn't appear to provide any accessor functions.  All
> I want is to do something like this:

The after handlers are actually a really good place to look at the
status code. If you really don't want to do that then you have to use
the error stack yourself described at

For each of the error elements in the list, you can get the error index
number using the HTError_index() described in

This index number can be used to map in to any table provided by the
application (which allows it to use different natural languages etc. The
reason why I can't use the HTTP status codes directly is that other
protocols (FTP, NNTP) often use the same numbers to mean different

There is a default table defined in the HTDialog module

And some functions that you can use to traverse the error stack are also
defined in this module. See for example the HTDialog_errorMessage
function defined in this module.

If I were you - use the after filters.