The tiny web browser

From: Neil Stewart <nstewart@cadence.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:42:05 +0100
Hi all,

Well, I've finally got libwww to compile under pSOS, along with
the 'tiny' web browser. Now, I can download files from my web
server and see them no problem, but I can't work out how to get
console input back to the application (for selecting links).

As far as I can make out from reading Unix man pages etc,
STDIN_FILENO is a socket descriptor (in the same terminology as
TCP/IP sockets) for standard input (stdin), and the tiny browser
registers an event handler on this socket.  Is this correct, or
have I totally misunderstood how the event handler works?

pSOS wont allow me to use STDIN_FILENO as a socket descriptor for
stdin (indeed it doesn't even define STDIN_FILENO). However, I
can check stdin for the availability of characters. So, my main
question is: do I need to go into the heart of the libwww event
loop and add a specific check for input on stdin if I want to
process user input? Or would it be easier to ignore the event
handler and write my own?

TIA,

Neil

--
Neil Stewart                |      Cadence Design Systems Ltd
Consulting Engineer         |                   1 Bell Square