Re: Size of chunks in ToChunk methods?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 08:14:47 -0400
To: www-lib@w3.org
To: Dave <dhorner@med-web.com>

> Dave wrote:
>
> Is the chunk created by:
> chunk = HTLoadAnchorToChunk(anchor, request);
> The size of the file being requested?
> Is there any way to grab the requested file by lines or by buffer?
> I have looked at the source and it looks like you malloc the whole
> file into memory?!
> Could this be a problem with big files (100's of megs)?

Yes indeed - and also you have to wait for the whole thing to come in.
If you want to use "progressive rendering" of a document then you have
to use streams instead of the chunk version

As an example of using streams, the sample app

	http://www.w3.org/Library/Examples/LoadToFile.c

linked from

	http://www.w3.org/Library/Examples/

in fact uses streams because the HTLoadFile() in

	http://www.w3.org/Library/src/HTAccess.html

uses streams.

http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk