Re: Total length?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:54:57 -0500
To: www-lib@w3.org
To: Jim_Ravan@avid.com

Jim_Ravan@avid.com wrote:

> I guess another way of fixing this problem would be to find a way to know
> when
> the server had ignored my range request. If there is no way to know the
> *total* length of a URL, is there a way to know when a range request is
> ignored?

I have added a bit of code to the terminate handler of the range sample
program to show how you can get the ranges and how you can distinguish
whether you got a partial response or not.

From the ranges, it is easy to get the total length (the number after
the "/"). I also had to change a minor thing in the libwww HTResponse
code as it didn't allow for multiple ranges with the same unit. The
patch is at

It's all in CVS as usual: