Re: Newbie's question

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 17:33:25 -0500
To: jwd <jwd@choice.net>, www-lib <www-lib@w3.org>
At 15:46 12/5/98 -0500, jwd wrote:

>Here is what I am trying to do: My local telco implemented ADSL. The
>login to then and subsequent logins use cgi "GET" forms.  I have looked
>at the libwww code to handle this. The thing I need to do is capture a
>redirected port to use in subsequent GETs.  So my initial URI is
>http://a.b.c/, the server redirects to http://a.b.c:9999/ and goes on.
>I don't want the automatic redirect to occur and I want to read the
>Location: header I get back to pickup this new URI. Once I have the new
>URI, all the rest are http://a.b.c:999/fubar&username=x&password=y type

Have a look at the (new) small sample program which figures out whether a
request results in a redirection and if so tells where it was redirected to:

which is linked from

Try and check it out from CVS

compile it and run it, you will see something like this:

   ./isredirected http://www.w3c.org
   Sending request to http://www.w3c.org
   The address `http://www.w3c.org' was redirected to `http://www.w3.org/'