Re: HTMLToPlain and libwww 5.2

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:32:30 -0500
To: kent@iastate.edu, www-lib@w3.org
At 00:07 11/21/98 CST, Kent Vander Velden wrote:

>  I have been trying to convert the returned html to plain text.  So
>far I have not been able to do this.  Using the w3c program I can
>retrieve the remote file in "text/latex" format but no in
>"text/x-c" or "text/plain".  I have added the extra converters
>with a call to HTMLInit() and can see that when maximum debug
>is enabled that the converter is found.  It is also clear from
>the parser output that the converter is running; there just is
>no output.
>
>  In short,
>    this works:
>      ./w3c -to "text/latex" http://www.w3.org/ -o w3home.txt
>    this does not:
>      ./w3c -to "text/plain" http://www.w3.org/ -o w3home.txt

I don't think that any of these work - the command line tool [1] doesn't
have an HTML parser integrated - I only added the HTML parser to the webbot
[2] (which needs it for finding links) and the line mode browser (because
it's a browser!) [3].

The following should work as intended:

	./www -to "text/latex" http://www.w3.org/ -o w3home.tex

	./www -to "text/plain" http://www.w3.org/ -o w3home.txt

(it may not generate fully compliant tex, though). You can remove the [n]
link references by using the "-na" command line option.

Henrik

[1] http://www.w3.org/ComLine/
[2] http://www.w3.org/Robot/
[3] http://www.w3.org/LineMode/